Drug Sales and Drug Dealing | Criminal Defense Attorney for Metro Houston
Selling, dealing or trafficking drugs goes beyond simple possession and involves the manufacture, delivery or possession of drugs with an intent to deliver them to someone else. Texas is considered to have strict penalties for drug sales and drug dealing, and depending upon the type of drug and amount of drug involved in the case, the charge may be a felony, carrying a prison term and heavy fines if convicted. These are some of the important reasons why it is critical to seek professional legal help from an experienced criminal defense attorney if you have been charged with drug sales and drug dealing in Texas. If you have been charged with drug sales or dealing in the Lone Star State, call the law office of Michael Lamson for a full review of your drug trafficking case to start the process of securing the best possible legal outcome.
Penalties for Drug Sales and Drug Dealing
A person may be charged with selling drugs or dealing drugs in Texas if he or she manufactures, delivers or possesses controlled substances intending to deliver them to another person. Considering the many drug charges an individual may be charged with and the intricate landscape of federal and state drug laws, it is critical to acquire the help from an experienced criminal defense lawyer who is highly experienced in the laws of drug trafficking, drug possession, drug sales and drug dealing.
The State of Texas has established strict consequences for drug sales and drug dealing, based on the amount of the controlled substance:
- First-degree felony drug dealing or selling of over 400 grams is penalized by 15 years to life in prison with fines up to $250,000.
- First-degree felony drug dealing or selling of 200 to 399 grams is penalized by 10 years to life in prison with fines up to $100.000.
- First-degree felony drug dealing of selling of four to 199 grams is penalized by five to 99 years in prison with fines up to $10, 000.
- Second-degree felony drug dealing or selling of one to 3.99 grams is penalized by two to 20 years in prison with fines up to $10,000.
- State jail felony drug dealing or selling of less than one gram is penalized by 180 days to two years in state jail with fines up to $10,000.
It is important to understand that extra federal charges may be involved and that penalties likely will be even more severe for repeat drug offenders.
Defense Against Drug Sales and Drug Dealing Charges in Metro Houston
Don’t risk your future by representing yourself in a drug sales or drug dealing case. Get the legal experts on your side when charged with selling or dealing drugs in Texas and in Metro Houston. It is critical to your livelihood to have someone looking out for your and protecting your legal rights while defending you aggressively in the criminal justice system.
Michael Lamson is highly experienced at defending people accused of federal and state drug sales and drug dealing charges. His office has assisted defendants in drug cases since 1979 throughout Texas, including the communities and jurisdictions of:
- North Houston
- West Houston
- Brazoria County
- Fort Bend County
- Harris County
- Montgomery County
- Federal cases for U.S. District Courts